The safe and effective treatment of ballast water is of utmost importance. Due to the implementation of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Ballast Water Management Convention, U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) and United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) regulations, it's now an absolute necessity.
Trojan's Commitment to Water Treatment Regulations
Since the 1970s, Trojan Technologies businesses have been working closely with regulatory agencies around the world. Trojan businesses have helped shape regulations and establish customer compliance in a wide array of water treatment applications, and we are committed to doing the same for you, with respect to the ever-changing ballast water treatment regulations.
The IMO Approval Process
|IMO APPROVAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT (G9)||SYSTEM APPROVAL BY FLAG STATE||IMO APPROVAL ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT (G9)||ISSUE OF TYPE APPROVAL CERTIFICATE BY FLAG (G8)|
|Systems using an active substance >||> Basic approval >||> Land based testing >||> Ship-board testing >||> Final approval >||> Type approval certificate|
|Systems NOT using an active substance >||- - - - - - - - - >||> Land based testing >||> Ship-board testing >||- - - - - - - - - >||> Type approval certificate|
Read More About
- International Marine Organization (IMO) Regulations - The IMO launched the Ballast Water Management Convention in 2004. It will enter into force 12 months after ratification by 30 States, representing 35% of the world’s merchant shipping tonnage.
- United States Ballast Water Regulations - Vessels sailing in U.S. waters will be required to adhere with U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) ballast water discharge standards and the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) Vessel General Permit (VGP), in addition to State ballast water regulations.
Here is a list of helpful standards and regulations links:
- International Maritime Organization (IMO) website
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) website
- USEPA – Vessel Discharges website
- USEPA – Invasive Species website
If you ever have any questions about the regulations, please do not hesitate to contact us.